Sunday 1 November 2015

Wasteland Wondering.


Welcome back to another Wasteland Wondering. In this post I will be chatting about my last post apoc faction plans (The Bulletfarm) and a Post Apoc City Idea. Plus a peek at me latest mini acquisitions.

I hope you all had a happy & safe Halloween. We are big on Halloween in our household. I need to get a Halloween game set up one year. I have the minis and terrain for a spook fest type game. 

In my last Wasteland Wondering I explored a possible site for a Lead factory or Bullet Farm for UK post apocalyptic settings. A reader (Brummie) asked where this was, so in order to keep my readership happy...

It's called Speedwell Cavern in the Peak District. 

Speedwell Cavern Linkage

The thought of the workers using boats though the tunnels really fires up the imagination. 

We plan to visit the area in the next week or two. Unfortunately due to my Wife's mobility issues we will not be visiting the lead mine. Hopefully I can expand the idea's I have for this after driving around the area. 

I have not got any hobby work done this week. It has been all prep for Halloween. Like I said earlier it is a big deal in our household. 

A nice parcel landed on my door mat. Some of 28mm Wasteland Survivors from the recent Kickstarter by Westfalia. 


They seem to scale up well with my other 28mm figures. They are a must collection for any fans of a certain movie series. I look forward to getting them painted. 

My old noggin has been working overtime this week. I have been giving some thought to creating a Post Apocalyptic City along the lines of the New City in the Toxic World novels or the City in the Killing Moon novel by Rod Glenn. I like to work from the base up when creating such places starting at the end of the world onwards. 

As I work at a Aircraft Factory and Airport I used that as an base idea. There is a wealth of materials for a setting up faction. Decent security, Airliner Airfames as accommodation, the airfield runways and Taxi Pans as extra space, converted fire engines into war rigs, the fuel tanks, the fuel tankers (airports have lots of these), airport vehicles, hangars, workshops, massive car parks with plenty of vehicles to use, unusable vehicles used as a outer barricade, airport maintenance vehicles, nearby industrial estates & support businesses and of course the green areas for growing crops. These ideas are the ones just off the top of my head. With a few skilled and knowledgeable people the turbines from jet engines may even be reused in a power generation capacity if driven by compressed steam. The locals could even be armed with weapons made from turbine blades. 

If the faction is clever enough they may even manage to keep some light aircraft flying which they use in a scouting or ground attack capacity. Forget jet aircraft and most helicopters. They are too thirsty and maintenance intense to keep them flying for long after the end of the world. I give many of them around 18 months of flying with enough fuel and parts. 

Of course some airfields have soil contamination issues from the airport. This will not stop hemp growing for diesel production. 

Most modern cities evolved from settlements based around a natural resource such as water or food. I can't see it being any different in the post apoc world. Many airports are near the coast in the UK which is handy for such a set up. It is a shame that in my UK Post Apoc setting that they are flooded. Maybe the site I am interested in may have risen from the earthquakes that followed the asteroid storm? That is one of  the things I love about Post Apoc is the freedom to modify the world you have created to suit your needs. 

This is of course if I go 28mm. If I use my newer 20mm setting I could arrange for a natural spring to have broken out near the planned site. 

That is all for this Wasteland Wondering. Take care out there! 

Thanks for reading. 

3 comments:

  1. Some great ideas and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the Westfalia Miniatures. I've picked these up as well and can't decide if they are all based on characters from that certain movie franchise or if some are completely flights of fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great ideas dude! Looking forward to progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bunch of raiders armed with turbine blades would look awesome plenty of car doors for shields :)

    ReplyDelete